Last week, after having had a bit of a cushion making marathon I decided that it had been too long since I had last made a cake. In order to rectify this I whipped up a nice quick lime drizzle cake.
Nice and moist (especially after having been liberally drizzled in the lovely lime syrup) it is quite a nice light summery type of cake.
The recipe I used was:
Pre-heat oven to 180C (Fan 160) – grease and line a rectangular (or in my case grease a square silicone) baking tray
175g self raising flour
175g golden caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
Zest of two limes
6 tablespoons milk
100g soft unsalted butter
Mix together all the ingredients and beat until it is a smooth dropping consistency. Pour into the baking tray and smooth the top. Put in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes until it is golden and firm to the touch.
Mix together a further 100g of caster sugar with the juice from the two limes (and any other zest you can get off them) and drizzle liberally and evenly over the still hot cake. Once cool, cut up and it will keep for a few days in an airtight container, or just put into your facehole immediately.
Now – about those robots…
One of the awesome cushions I made last week using a great design from Kokka. They have a nice blue/grey background and I teamed this one up with a nice dark indigo on the back.
Available in the shop here.
I also had another custom order for a coordinating cushion to go with the owl cushions I sold a while back – this lovely customer had previously bought two cushion covers and had asked for three plain green ones to match – two small darker green and one larger lime green. She decided last week that she wanted one more large lime green one. It is always nice to get repeat custom, it certainly helps with boosting confidence in my abilities!
Although last week was a bit stressful as I ended up blowing a 6th bulb on my sewing machine in the space of just over a month. That last one lasted all of about half an hour after having replaced the 5th one that burnt out, then as I turned the dial to switch from straight stitch to a zig-zag stitch for some serging (without having a posh overlocker machine) – pow – it went. Not burnt out this time, the tiny filament had broken on one side, so was presumably just very fragile and sensitive to vibration. So after a phone call to my Dad, an ex-engineer we’ve concluded that I need to do two things – 1. get a surge protector to use with my machine and 2. try an LED bulb. So just need to find a good reputable seller that isn’t too expensive and get me an LED bulb – he steered me clear of eBay where I have bought my replacement bulbs recently, just because you never know about the quality of electrical type products on there. So fingers crossed that this is the end of me sewing in the dark!